18 March 2010

It's a sad day. R.I.P. Alex Chilton


Alex Chilton (1950-2010).

The sky is a little dimmer tonight.

I really wish I had a clearer memory of the time I saw Alex Chilton perform. I can't find a reference to it anywhere and hope it really happened. If you remember it, please speak up and let me know. The show, it was in Lexington, Kentucky I am sure. I think it was at a club on Limestone called Babylon Babylon. It must've been around 1987 or 1988. I think.

The things that stick in memory seem a little disjointed, but here goes. I remember the guy as seeming kinda moody. It was a small venue. I was stunned when he played "The Letter" and perhaps didn't even know at the time that it was his song. I certainly didn't know he was a teenager when it hit number one. The overall feeling that really left an impression is that, in spite (or maybe because of) my ignorance of the influence of the man's songs, the evening felt momentous. I mean, sometimes you are in the presence of a great talent...the real deal...and you don't need to be told. You just know it, it's so obvious that you are witnessing something special. Even if you are a silly teenager without a clue. Alex Chilton was a real star. Seeing him play was enough to know it. You didn't need an internet full of it to tell you so.

That's all I remember.

I did come across this today at work and it almost brought me to tears. At work.


Over the years I got more familiar with Big Star and both #1 Record and Radio City grow on me a little more with each listen.

I dunno. Maybe the stars are actually a little brighter tonight.

No comments: